Achieving a whiter smile does not stop at the end of a teeth whitening procedure, what you do after is equally important in determining the success of the procedure. In fact, one should be mindful of the different ways to not only protect your teeth but ensure that your results can last longer.
What to eat and drink
Your diet is also another important consideration in terms of allowing your whitening procedure to produce the best results. After a teeth whitening procedure, teeth can be sensitive to temperatures both hot and cold. Hence, try to avoid any drinks and food which are at both at the extremes of temperature.
Additionally, avoid drinks and foods that can stain your teeth, this is to ensure the stunning results of your whitened teeth can last longer.
These include but are not limited to the following:
Tea and coffee. These brews can stain your teeth instantly
• Dark-coloured sauces. Avoid red pasta sauce, soy sauce, barbecue sauce
• Fruit juice.
• Dark chocolate. This contains caffeine and thus could stain your teeth
• Acidic food, e.g. lemons, oranges, and other citrus fruits should be avoided. These are acidic or sour foods can weaken your enamel
As a rule of thumb, do not take any food or drink that will stain a white shirt for 48 hours after teeth whitening.
If you must insist on drinking coffee or soda or other dark-coloured drinks, just use a straw instead of sipping directly from your mug. By using a straw, the liquid will not come in contact with your teeth.
So what’s safe to eat after this treatment?
• White-coloured vegetables
• White meat
• Colourless beverages
• Non-acidic fruits
Maintaining routine oral hygiene
Oral hygiene should still be practiced after teeth whitening, which includes the following tasks to be done as often as you can:
• Brush your teeth at least twice every day.
• Floss at least once a day to help remove any plaque that builds up over time.
• Rinse your mouth with an antiseptic mouthwash at least once every day. This too will help kill the types of bacteria that cause plaque build-up.
• Consider using a whitening toothpaste at least once or twice a week. This will act as a type of basic touch-up, allowing you to remove any surface stains that have built up over time, and it will also go a long way towards preventing discolouration.
• For the rest of the times that you brush your teeth, use regular toothpaste.
Consider touch-up treatments
How long your results after a teeth whitening procedure can vary depending on the type of teeth whitening treatments that you have used, along with your diet and lifestyle. As such, you may need to consider touch-up treatments every 6 months or so for at least a duration of two years, even in the case of professional treatment. These touch-ups are necessary to reverse what you have eaten and drank which may cause a discolouration of your teeth even after whitening.
Therefore, do not hesitate any longer to ahieve your desired smile, talk to a dentist right now to see whether teeth whitening is the right solution for you.
Contact 1728 Dental via email at our three branches or whatsapp us now for your teeth whitening treatement:
1728 Dental@AMK: +65 9631 1728
1728 Dental@Jurong East: +65 9770 1728
1728 Dental@Tampines: +65 9725 1728